First licensed in 1394, The Salters' Company has its origins in the salt trade of medieval London. Ranked number nine in the order of precedence, it is one of the Great 12 Livery Companies and today The Salters' Company is a diverse organisation responsible for several charitable foundations, important philanthropic work in science education and the fostering of fellowship among its members. To find out more about the Livery company please visit www.salters.co.uk.
Salters' Hall was opened in 1976; it is the sixth residence of the Company and replaces the previous Hall, which was destroyed by fire in an air raid in 1941. The renowned architect Sir Basil Spence designed the Hall, with interior design directed by the late David Hicks.
Its modern premises include an ash panelled Banqueting Hall, Court Room, a small Dining Room, office accommodation and a beautiful Garden. The Hall commands a fine view over London Wall and St. Paul's Cathedral, and is one of the only Livery Halls in the City to have been built in a more contemporary style.